Sunday, March 4, 2012

Weekend Update

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your focused and committed prayers!
I received an email from someone who I have never met, with Psalm 27:12-14 and "Release [my] expectations into His hands. The Lord is working on [our] behalf...while we are waiting, God is working." This spoke to me in many ways, as patience has truly been what has gotten us through the last 9 days. Saturday morning we were overjoyed that Madeleine had a bowel movement, the first one of the week and so desperately needed to indicate that her gut is beginning to heal. Her personality is also changing, she is happier I'm sure as a result of feeling better. We have to sit and wait to see how quickly she will heal. It is likely though that we could not get a break at home before beginning the next cycle of chemo. She has to first heal with her belly and gut and clear all the fluid from her lungs without further ailment. She also has two more MRI's of her brain and spine, another lumbar puncture, a surgery to replace her CVC - the line in her chest, be completely off the morphine and IV nutrition, and be 100% recovered. While we've called her the "overachiever," we are by no means pushing her to get well faster than she can; she is so delicate right now. WE ARE STILL VERY HOPEFUL that she will continue to do well throughout her treatment. We are suffering the "growing pains" of patience and having to have it whether we like it or not.

Due to her slow recovery, Madeleine has needed platelets nearly every day for the last week and a half. So far, there is only ONE PERSON who is a compatible direct donor for her, and we so graciously thank him for his continued donations. Even I cannot donate for her because she requires CMV-negative status blood products, which can only be A-negative, and the availability of her products I worry about. CMV status indicates exposure to a virus that does not affect the person who has it, but will affect compatibility in donations. About 80% of ALL people are CMV positive. Infants and especially low immune system infants require CMV negative products for their protection. If you have ever donated blood and been told you are a "baby donor," that is what it means. So, if by chance you are A-negative or O-negative blood type and know you are also CMV negative or want to find out, please let me know if you would consider being a blood and/or platelet donor for Madeleine. Turns out these people are few and far between.

16 comments:

  1. Roni I believe I am A-, not sure about CMV-, but I have a Dr.'s appt. this Wed, and I will try and find out, I would love to be able to help Madeleine if I can.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em, that would be amazing! They would need to draw from you and test it to make the CMV determination and go from there. God bless you

      Delete
  2. I am A+ darn it or else I would LOVE to help. I will certainly pass the word so that any potential matches know of Madeleine's need! Thanks for continuing to post updates!

    “The greatest faith is born in the hour of despair. When we can see no hope and no way out, then faith rises and brings the victory.” – Lee Robertson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am O neg and not sure about being CMV negative, but I would be happy to donate blood or platelets sometime this week. What do I do to make sure it goes to Madeleine if it is compatible? I don't know you, but I saw this posted on a friend's fb page and wanted to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For O- you could donate blood only. Please call the donation center for an appointment. I've just made a new post with all the info. God bless you

      Delete
  4. I'm reading and praying all the way from Dallas, TX and am O negative, CMV negative. After reading this post I feel so guilty for not giving blood or platelets every time I could for sweet babies like Madeleine. I wish I was closer and could help... I would in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ali for following Madeleine's journey and your prayers! YOU CAN HELP... make an appointment to donate at your first opportunity. Because of community donors, my Madeleine has received what she needs. You could do the same for another family and baby in need. <3 God bless you

      Delete
  5. Dear Veronica,
    Up until now I didn't write since I don't know you. I see others have so I took the plunge. I just want you to know I and my family are praying for your beautiful baby girl and your family. We are far away in Budapest Hungary so that is all we can do for now but we will pray in the platelets and blood. God knows where those folks are. Good news on her having a bowel movement! He care about every detail! ( We were alerted to your situation through Melissa Papen's fb message)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following Madeleine's journey and I especially thank Melissa for sharing with all the people she knows. It's through prayers near and far she is doing so well. God Bless you

      Delete
  6. Veronica,

    I don't know you but I have been following your sweet babies journey as I am friends with Jacy. I am O- and I dont know about the CMV status of my blood but I am more than willing to find out, I am in Grass Valley I don't know if the blood would be able to get to sweet madeleine, but if there is a way just let me know. Prayers and Love your way.

    XOXO
    Marianna Brewer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianna, thank you for following Madeleine as well as Talli. As you know with Jacy, it's very difficult on parents as well when their babies are fighting cancer, it's just so not fair. We share so many of the same feelings, needs and experiences we give each other strength! Unfortunately GV's bank does not ship here to UCLA, but please consider donating there anyway. God bless you

      Delete
  7. I dont know what i am but i work at Cedars sinai and could probably find out . . . . what do i ask them to test?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, not every donation center screens for CMV; you would need to check Cedars policy or ask them at the donation center if they screen and then make a donation to find out. Considering you are so close, I recommend coming here to UCLA if you can make the time to ensure your donation goes to Madeleine. And if not, I guarantee your donation can be used there at Cedars. Thank you! God bless you

      Delete
  8. I am A negative and CMV negative and donate all the time I would like to help I donate all the time because of this but never know where my blood goes this would really make me feel extra good about what I do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forrest, thank you! Madeleine currently has platelets in reserve but does need blood reserved for the next 30 days. Her full name is Madeleine Vazquez you would indicate that on your questionnaire and they will reserve your units for her. God bless you

      Delete