Thursday, January 10, 2013

At Peace

I can't get into great detail of Madeleine's final day. To say that we agonized over her condition is understated, but to know that Jeff had a premonition, and I had a premonition, independently of one another and we dared not speak of it lest it come true, is a testament of how she was that day. She was actively treated by her nurse for more than two hours, and my mom or I never left her side all day long. However, by 3 o'clock I knew, without a doubt, and I busied myself to pretend I didn't know, an involuntary decision I hope I don't live to regret. But she knew I was there. 
February 2012
She wasn't waiting for me, I had already told her many times during the last weeks of her struggle that Mommy is ok and she doesn't have to worry about me. On Tuesday she was waiting to hear her Daddy's voice, and ultimately, she was waiting for Annalise to let her go.
June 2012
I am in complete awe of the bond between my girls at their young age. The last 17 days at home on hospice were as normal as we possibly could make them, and Annalise is so smart and astute and articulate, but this was one thing she couldn't communicate. Of course she couldn't, we wouldn't expect she could at 3 1/2 years old. Throughout each day she would occasionally go to Madeleine in her chair, press her cheek to Madeleine's cheek, whisper "I love you Madeleine" to her and go about her day. The sad truth is that it was completely normal to Annalise for Madeleine to be sick; a heartache I know Jeff and I will feel for all of our days. There is something inherently wrong with a child being accustomed to hospitals and sickness; it just not ought to be. The last day, on Tuesday, Annalise checked on her several times after waking up to Madeleine having head-shaking seizures. I'm not sure I will ever know what she thought or how she interpreted what she saw.


But she knew too something was different. Finally, very late into the evening, after Madeleine's fever peaked at 103.3 and we knew it was coming, and Jeff's parents were in our home later than they had ever been, it was time for Annalise to say good night. She dressed for bed and did her nighttime rituals. She gave everyone hugs and kisses good night. She went to Madeleine, put her arms around her limp shoulders, kissed her cool cheek, gently rubbed their tiny noses together, and told her, "good night Madeleine. I love you. Merry Christmas Madeleine." 
November 2012
She went to bed and I'm so thankful she slept through the weeping and cries of 5 adults as Madeleine took her last breath and we felt her last heart beat. Jeff held her and I both close and we looked into her eyes and told her it was ok to go, it was time now, don't be scared baby, Mommy and Daddy love you. A moment of stillness felt like an hour. We thanked her for going. We thanked God for her peacefulness in our arms. Jeff loved her and held her tightly talking to her. I was frozen sitting in front of him. It was as if I couldn't believe what I had just witnessed. Eventually I felt an uncontrollable pull of my arms towards her. I took her in my arms and walked to my bedroom, where I sat in the dark and told her how I loved her so, and I missed her already. I don't know why I kept telling her, you belong to me, you will always belong to me, you're my baby- but I did. I must have said that 5 times. And I wailed. I held her to my chest and cried those mother's tears of sorrow. And then it stopped. My heart did not ache. My heart was at peace because my daughter was finally at peace.



18 comments:

  1. I am so sorry...she will ALWAYS be in my heart! I never meet her and she has made such an impact on me. I am so sorry to you and Jeff. Annalaise is a great big sister. Bless your family. xo Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a mother who has experienced what you have and I am so sorry for your loss. I know those words are hollow but I truly from the bottom of my soul wish that you and yours, especially your Annalaise had known a different reality. My heart and prayer are with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've followed this blog for months...I've never met her but I felt like i knew her...i have a lump in my throat and the tears in my eyes for someone I've never met but her story, pictures and your words made me feel like she was one of my own. there are no words that anyone can say to ever take that pain away but please know you and your family have been in my prayers...and I'll continue to pray for a cure! God bless....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart truly goes out to you. As a mother I can not even fathom the pain that comes with the loss of a child. You sound like a great parent and your daughters are blessed to have you as a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big hug..I too only followed your blog but felt like I knew her. Thank you for sharing her with us. Like you said shes in a better place & only god knows why he does things. It's hard to understand & accept but god will provide you & your family with the strength you need at this time. I will pray that you all find peace soon <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart aches for you, I am in tears! This could be any of us at any given moment, I'm sorry that it was you who had to endure this pain. Thank you for sharing with us and helping Madeleine to live on. Hang in there, the mommies are here if you need us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading this I cannot imagine your pain. I am in tears. My husband and I have been reading along for a long time now, and prayed for her often along with our own little one. I admire your strength as a mother and your ability to put your thoughts into such loving and beautiful words. I truly feel for your loss, and I pray for continued peace and strength for you and your family. God bless little Madeleine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your entry through a friend whose infant son has also battled pediatric cancer. While I know none of the heartache you feel or have endured up to this point, I can only hope that you and your family find the peace you deserve. You're so right - no baby should be "accustomed" to hospitals and sickness. It's unfair. Your entry brought tears - nowhere near the tears of a mother who lost their innocent daughter to a horrific disease - but it opened my eyes to the world of those who are living everyday with babies with cancer. I will make a donation to my local hospital's pediatric cancer unit on behalf of Madeleine in the upcoming week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart is broken reading this i am so sorry for ur loss xxx i am in tears here and cant imagine what pain and heart ache u are going through,i do admire ur strenght for writing such a heart felt storyxx i hope the next few days weeks months get easy for u and ur little angle looks down on u xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are the parents of a grown daughter and son-in-law, who lovingly gave us our first grandchild, a grandson, this past July. We have been reading your blog and you and your amazing family have become an inspiration to us. The love you all have for one another is just amazing and unconditional. May Madeleine's memory become a blessing to all who love her and May God provide you with the strength that you need to get through this difficult time. Madeleine will always be a blessing in your life, keep her memory alive. With heartfelt sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too have lost children, a daughter at 13 days old and a son at 19 years old. My heart goes out to your family. Please know that my prayers are with you. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for your loss. I saw a quote on a church sign the other day, I want you to read, Cry not, for what you have lost, Smile for the joyful moments you had. I drove past that and started to think about it. It makes a lot of sense and will help me in times of sadness, I hope it will help you in your time of loss. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To say Im sorry just is not enough...I sit here crying for all of you, something no parent or child should have to endure!
    I pray you find peace and God helps you thru this terrible tragedy, as a mother and grandmother of 8, I just can't begin to imagine the heartbreak you are going thru.
    God Bless you and your little angel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry fir your loss. I can't imagine what you all must be going through. I have 2 young boys 19 mths apart, my youngest 6 mths old and I cry for you imagining how it would feel. Be at peace baby girl

    ReplyDelete
  15. I AM SO SORRY OR YOUR LOST SHE IS A SWEET LITTLE GIRL. IT WAS SAD TO READ YOUR STORY IT BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES. I DONT LIKE SEE LITTLE BABYS OR CHILDREN SUFFER LIKE THIS I WISH THEY WOULD FIND A CURE FOR THIS THEY HAD A WHOLE LIFE AHEAD OF THEM AGAIN MY SYMPATHY AND MY THOUGHT AND PRAYERS ARE WITH THE FAMILY HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been in tears over your blog all evening. I am so Sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry for your loss. our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so deeply saddened and sorry for the loss of your little angel. I am amazed and how you have all been able to articulate your thoughts and feelings despite everything that has happened. God bless you and your beautiful family and your beautiful angel in heaven.

    ReplyDelete