Thursday, July 26, 2012

A great update :)

Madeleine with her twin! 
I am SO thrilled to announce that Madeleine is gaining weight!
Since April, she has not budged even a fraction of a kilo over 6.8kg; she has steadfastly remained here, which has been so frustrating because that was her weight when we first brought her in through the emergency room at 11 weeks old, my slightly chubby baby of 2+ months old. Now we are quickly approaching 10 months old and she's a little skinny bean pole :) We knew this would be the case; I suppose it's just being the mom in charge of feeding her that I have been hopeful she would start gaining weight already. 
At Tuesday's clinic appointment, she weighed in at 7.2kg (15.75lbs)!! I personally hate scales. I finally broke down and purchased one because I wanted to know how she was doing. Today she weighed in at 17lbs on the home scale. She has also grown to 28 inches tall.  This totally explains her odd behavior over the last week. I remember when Annalise was 9 months old, she too quit sleeping through the night and would wake up crying for no apparent reason other than growing pains, and Madeleine has evidently been doing the same thing. The other odd behavior she is doing is basically refusing to be put down. She wants me to constantly hold her. Even the Moby isn't working as well, for whatever reason me carrying her strapped to my chest isn't the same as "holding" her. To be honest, it's driving me crazy. Probably because I'm not having great success in teaching her to take rice cereal, baby food, or a bottle she is still just breastfeeding, so again she's attached to me constantly. Tomorrow [Thursday] she has her initial occupational therapy assessment and we begin therapy next Monday. Her doc and NP are both very hopeful that OT will help a great deal and that soon she should be more comfortable eating. I'm still trying to figure out how a therapist plans to teach her...? I'm sort of scratching my head over this one, but I'm looking forward to learning something new and helping Madeleine make progress in this area, for a number of reasons. Fingers crossed, prayers requested- she's going to get this and get on with it like everything else :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to hear all the good news... especially glad to hear about her gaining weight. Thanks for the updates... you all are continuing to be in my prayers. Kathy

    ReplyDelete