Friday, September 14, 2012

Ignorance is not Bliss

It has been busy. As much as we take a deep breath and try to slow down, there's always something. This week has been challenging. Some positives, some negatives. But my babies are home together and we get to do jumping jacks in our pj's and laugh together. That is what matters to me.

I love my ATRT group of parents. I think I have never been part of a group that genuinely feels for each other, supports one another, and there is never anything catty or oppressive to each other in spite of the many negatives. We are connecting through our children battling an ugly deadly disease, the biggest negative of all. But boy do we all know our respective feelings all too well. And I think we all deeply care for each other's children. And most of us have never met face to face.
One of our moms, I love her already. She lives in Canada. Her son is about 6 months older than Madeleine. And she is positive when she has no reason to be. She can be straight about our kids' cancer and then post a photo of her son smiling. She inspires me because I realize I haven't been posting as often because I'm stuck in my rut of oppression by this cancer BS. Today she wrote,
"I know everyone may get tired of hearing about pediatric cancer. However, when you kiss your kids goodnight tonight, I know those who can not whisper goodnight in their child's ear. While you get to brush your teeth and crawl into bed, I know those who stay up to administer meds/chemo while their children sleep. While you sleep and rest to go to work I know those who are awake in worry of bringing their child to radiation treatment in the morning. I know it's tiring to hear about their fight. I know it's easy to just skip over ... 
It's not easy to live this life its not easy to push it on others to help us find a cure. It is easy to look into a child's eyes and say "I am there for you." 
Can we all say that? 
I challenge you all to find a warrior support a warrior and look into his/her eyes
And say
"I will be there for you."
Ignorance is not bliss."

I hope everyone who reads this can go to their child, hold them, kiss them, and for 15 seconds....... be a cancer parent. Feel these feelings, these fears. Imagine you might have to bury your child tomorrow. And then Thank God for your healthy child. Because when those who do not live this life can be truly empathetic, we who live this nightmare begin to build in numbers in support for finding a cure. We are too few to do this on our own.
-Thanks Brenda! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment